- Inglês Escrito IV
Inglês Escrito IV
- Opening Class - reflecting about essay writing
Opening Class - reflecting about essay writing
This is the essay I handed in in print to some of you yesterday.
I would like the ones who got the printed version to bring it to class on Friday, please (since I'm counting on them to do an activity).
The ones who weren't in class can print the text also (if they wish), but the main thing is to have a look at this text with the objective of assessing its comformity to what is expected from an academic essay.
This is the assessment made for that essay - the bad one - we read for last class.
Check the guidelines for this essay in our Fórum de Notpicias, in the topic "Homework for August, 28th"
- Paragraph writing
PPT used in class
extra material about paragraph writing (not used in class).
This is the space where I want you to upload the paragraph you'll write.
This paragraph should answer question 2 in activity C from unit 1 (p.10) in our textbook.
there is no minimum or maximim length for this paragraph, but I think less than 10 lines is kind of short, and more than 20 can be tiring. Nevertheless, I trust your good judgment on that.
This text should be uploaded by September, 7th at 11:55 PM. Late paragraphs will be accepted (up to one week after the due date), but there will be a decrease on the text's grade.
if you have any doubts or difficulties, talk to me!
- Useful files for the academic life - reading and writing
Useful files for the academic life - reading and writing
I'll post here some of the files I use in class and that may be helpful to help you either read or write (or both!) in the academic world.
I hope you make good use of it.
- Essay writing
In this space I'll post our essay assignments
After you have written a free essay, it's time for you to write an academic essay.
The essay you'll write has to be an argumentative essay. That is, it has to have a thesis statement with your point of view about a given subject and you must defend your point of view with supporting evidence along the text.
When writing your text, keep the following features in mind:
- Don't forget to put a heading in your essay.
- Don't forget to give your essay a title. Remember that essay titles (and discussions) should not be too narrow or too general.
- Paragraphs are expected to be organized in terms of a topic sentence and the development of that argument (and/or evidence/examples that bring support to the argument).
- Each paragraph should revolve around ONE idea and have between 8 and 12 lines, preferably.
- You can chose from 2 topics to write about: Free will or Gender issues. Both topics are too general, you'll have to limit your essay to something related to one of these topics.
- The text should be aligned on both sides, with a paragraph indentetion of 1cm. The font must be Times News Roman size 12, with a 1,5 spacing between lines.
- The length of the essay should be between 450 and 600 words.
- Don't use contractions or colloquial language.
- Make sure you develop your argument(s) in a logical order.
- Check spelling, punctiation, and grammar.
- Attempt to use more complex syntax and vocabulary.
- Upload you essay by Sunday (September, 20th) at 11:55 PM in a word format.
Any doubts, questions, complaints, talk to me!
This essay should follow the format of your previous essay. I don't need to write everything again here, right? check out in the previous task.
The topics were picked up in class by your colleagues.
One of them was 'The war in the Middle East' and the other was 'Social Media' (thanks, Rafaela!)
Well, this essay is due on October, 27th and you should upload it here on Moodle by 11:55 PM
any doubts, please talk to me!
for those who wish to increse their grade in the 3rd essay (the one I gave feedback last night), this is the place where you should upload your files.
For this task -our last essay with the exception of the final exam- you will write a comparison and contrast essay.
As usual, there is no limit (minimum or maximum) of lines/words. Use your good sense. The formating details for this essay are the same ones of the previous ones and you can find them detailed in Essay 2.
This time, you'll be able to choose the topic(s) you want to write about.
Some very good tips/instructions for writing comparison/contrast essays can be found at http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Compare-and-Contrast-Essay and in the North Star book.
This essay will be done in substitution of our November, 13th class and will be due November, 22nd, at 11:55 pm.
Any doubts, questions, complaints, etc., talk to me.
- Make up work
Make up work
- PCC - análise de testes de proficiência
PCC - análise de testes de proficiência
Here you'll find the PCC assignment as well as instructions for its written an oral parts.
In addition to that, one of the books from the bibliography can also be found here.
This is the space where you should upload your written version of our PCC.
IMPORTANT: the new deadline now is Sunday, December 6th, at 11:55pm
There's no need for all the participants of a group to upload the same file. One person of the group makes the upload and that's it. Don't forget to put the names of all participants.
- Make up exam -end of term [Recuperação]
Make up exam -end of term [Recuperação]