1. Videos on Essay Structure

1. Videos on Essay Structure
Friday, 14 August 2020, 3:12 PM

Hello

You are being invited to participate in this forum.

As the assignment for grading in this unit, you will be preparing presentations on essay structure as if you were going to give a class. There are many resources available on the internet with explanation on that. 

You will find below a video which explains how to write an Essay. It is segmented in 4 parts: essays and introductions, paragraphs, conclusions, and transitions. If you followed the instructions, you have already seen them, but it is worth another viewing. What can be learned from them? Do you have any suggestion of resources on the internet for essay writing? Share your thoughts by posting comments here on this forum.

Essays and their Introductions

Writing paragraphs 

Writing conclusions 

Using transitions 

Picture of Leticia Anny Gellert (18101601)
Re: 1. Videos on Essay Structure
by Leticia Anny Gellert (18101601) - Sunday, 6 September 2020, 7:09 PM

Writing a good essay can be a lot of work. People may think that it's not so difficult to talk about a subject, but giving logical reasons and persuading your reader into understanding your point of view, might be a little tougher. As students, we've already seen many ways on how to write a good essay, although it's extremely necessary to carefully follow the steps that are shown here: a thesis for the introduction, reasons for the body paragraphs and a conclusion to your thesis. I haven't heard about the term "hook" before, even though I now think it can be one of the most important parts on your text -- getting the reader's attention. 

As for resources on how to write an essay, I don't have any recommendations, but I'm sure that just a quick search on the internet will show you tons of different materials. Even some accounts on Instagram for example, are willing to help people on this matter, with tips and suggestions. Concerning the videos above, despite that they're pretty simple, they're indeed helpful.

Picture of Celso Henrique Soufen Tumolo
by Celso Henrique Soufen Tumolo - Wednesday, 16 September 2020, 2:30 PM

Leticia

Thanks for the words. Yes, the hook is important: you either go on or give up, depending on it. But specially a well-written thesis, showing your position on the issue. 

Picture of Lucas Augusto Valente (18103661)
by Lucas Augusto Valente (18103661) - Sunday, 13 September 2020, 11:51 AM

Writing an essay may seem easy at first, but it involves several subtle nuances that are very easy to be overlooked — and that's where the danger lies. This task follows one since high school, perhaps in a more simplified manner, and maybe that's why it's easily taken for granted or understood. In order to develop a quality work, though, the recipe is simple: keeping an eye to the fundamental characteristics of each part of the essay's structure is essential. Actually, not only is the structure of the essay important — which involves the introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion — but also is the use of transitions. The usage of this artifice is what strikes me the most since it's fundamental to keep the text organic, palatable, and fluid to the reader — which is the writer's goal.

by Celso Henrique Soufen Tumolo - Wednesday, 16 September 2020, 2:26 PM

Hi Lucas.

Yes, that is right: writing in a way to make the text fluid to the reader.

Picture of Lucas Koprowski Martins (18101602)
by Lucas Koprowski Martins (18101602) - Tuesday, 15 September 2020, 1:43 PM

I must confess: I'm not a big fan of ESSAYS. They tend to be sleepysleepysleepy. I know: it is central in our academic world. Important for science. You can share ideas for a broad audience. And it is a rite EVERY student must pass through evil. So... I dig that.

These four videos summarize perfectly the main aspects on "HOW TO WRITE AN ESSAY". I would like to point out the importance of the THESIS STATEMENT and TRANSITIONS. The first one may be the most crucial thing in an essay because summarizes the main point of your writing (the subject you are bringing about). In order you have to be concise, clear and careful (I like to call it "The C Method"... See?). You cannot fool around. And TRANSITIONS leave the text more flexible. It is something that gives motion to your writing (and put away the monotony). 

Of course, me, an avid explorer of KNOWLEDGE would look up for more resources (to add new perspectives and so on). And I can say that Ariel

explains admirably how can you perform a THESIS STATEMENT. I think she cuts to the chase and gives us new perspectives on that thing. There is also Jess  giving "HACKS" (I promise you she is not a COACH) on essays. In 6 minutes she gives us tips on how to produce an excellent written discourse. And there is this one with mah man Spongebob  who faces the same difficulty as many students: PROCRASTINATION and a MENTAL BLOCK. It captures accurately how we (students) sometimes feel towards writing an essay.

by Celso Henrique Soufen Tumolo - Wednesday, 16 September 2020, 2:20 PM

Hi Lucas

Sorry to hear that you are not fan of essays. Maybe the structure that restrains creativity. But it is like a recipe for cakes: novice cooks follow but experienced cooks may stray away.

Thanks for the tips on the videos. I will take a look. 

Picture of Luciana dos Santos (18101604)
by Luciana dos Santos (18101604) - Friday, 18 September 2020, 1:13 PM

I learned many things from the videos, more than I thought I would. This series of videos brought the most thorough and complete content I have seen. I always loved writing, but I started studying about the structure when I was studying to get into college. The first time I encountered good content about essay structure was by coincidence, and I remember it was Ariel Bissett’s video, which was already mentioned here by one of my colleagues.  I also had an English teacher who prepared a whole class about academic essay structure even though this was not obligatory in the course syllabus. Studying essay structure is essential for every student and made me realize that I had already known some elements unconsciously, but learning about each detail of the structure helps to keep good quality in our writings and to be able to understand why an essay was considered good or not so good.  

by Celso Henrique Soufen Tumolo - Thursday, 24 September 2020, 2:47 PM

Luciana

Ok, great! Yes, videos do help us. There will be more.

Picture of Luiza Spiller Fernandes (20104456)
by Luiza Spiller Fernandes (20104456) - Friday, 18 September 2020, 4:04 PM

As someone who has been out of high school for a long time, I have not had to write many essays in the past decade, so these videos really helped me out in remembering the basic structure of an essay. I specially liked watching the video on transitions which gives straightforward examples on how to better link the essay paragraphs.

I don't have any recommendations on online resources about how to write an essay but coincidentally the other day I stumbled upon a buzzfeed quizz about essays, so here it is: https://www.buzzfeed.com/shelbyheinrich/basic-essay-components

by Celso Henrique Soufen Tumolo - Thursday, 24 September 2020, 2:49 PM

Luiza

Yes, with videos, you can always go back, as many times as needed, to be able to understand. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

Picture of Crystoffer Emilio Zanchet (19103839)
by Crystoffer Emilio Zanchet (19103839) - Sunday, 27 September 2020, 3:00 PM

For me, creating the presentation helped a lot to understand the structure of an essay. I had to write this type of text last semester, however, after going through the process of coming up with a class made me feel more confident and ready to start writing again. I think it is easier to write texts where you are supposed to discuss different points of views instead of creative writing. The videos and the websites were useful to me. Writing is the least used ability of English for me and the one I struggle the most with, so I am willing to improve it during the semester and after it as well.
by Celso Henrique Soufen Tumolo - Monday, 28 September 2020, 1:49 PM

Crystoffer.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. Yes, thinking about teaching a class on any topic (here Essays) requires reading, rereading, researching, elaborating, all processes assisting learning.