Debating The Social Dilemma

Debating The Social Dilemma
Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 4:00 PM

Hello

This is for a debate on the documentary film The Social Media. Take a look at sites with comments on it, linked below. Bring your reflection here.

The Dilemma

Review of The Social Dilemma

Netflix’s The Social Dilemma highlights the problem with social media, but what’s the solution?

Take Control 

Prof. Celso

Some concepts/ideas mentioned in the film documentary:

• Nothing vast enters the world without a curse
    • How do you wake up from the matrix when you don’t know you are in the matrix?
    • fake news is more entertaining
    • If something is a tool, it is just sitting there waiting to be used. Technology lures you in, seduces you, it demands things from you
    • simultaneously utopia and dystopia
    • they are not seeing the same information
    • there are only 2 industries that call their costumers 'users': illegal drugs and software
    • manipulation based technology environment
    • massive scale contagion experiments
    • it is the gradual, slight, imperceptual change in your behavior and perception that is the product
    • if you are not paying for the product, you are the product

• Advertising
    • monetizing
    • manipulation
    • attention grabber
    • engagement
    • utopia X dystopia
    • profit/ share holder
    • humane technology
    • growth hacking - en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth_hacking
    • positive intermittent reinforcement - www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt_jhGXdxdc
    • exponential
    • addiction
    • AI
    • seduce/seduction
    • Gen Z
    • Social Acceptance
    • Behavioral Modification
    • Polarization
    • desinformation for profit

Some names (some defectors from the largest social networks):

• TRISTAN HARRIS https://www.tristanharris.com
    • Shoshana Zuboff
    • Jaron Lanier
    • Tim Kendall
    • Joe Toscano

Some sites

• Explainer: what is surveillance capitalism and how does it shape our economy? here 

• Surveillance capitalism is an assault on human autonomy here

• Former Facebook exec says social media is ripping apart society here

• Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now by Jaron Lanier here

• Tristan Harris Interview and Q&A on The Social Dilemma here

Picture of Luana Garbin (202002715)
Re: Debating The Social Dilemma
by Luana Garbin (202002715) - Wednesday, 3 February 2021, 4:08 PM

Hello everybody

Although I had heard about Netflix’s documentary Socal Dilemma long before this week, it was only now that I took some time to watch it. It was shocking, as I was expecting to be, and a serious of self thoughts came to me while I was watching it. I will comment on some of them.

Firstly I instantaneously checked on my cellphone to see the amount of time I was spending on it (social medias). My weekly report amounted to about 4 hours of use per day. I know that this is a lot, even for the vacation period.

Secondly, what called my attention when reading some of the criticism about the documentary  was that it was being called sensationalist, which is a word very common of fake News reports. Just like progressist discourses are called “mimizentos”. It is also interesting to see who were the speakers of the documentary. They are all very smart people, scientists, people who dedicated years of study to do their work, and still their speech was put in doubt regarding its accuracy. Similarly, this is happening right now with the COVID-19 vaccine and since its beggining, when several fake News were propagated about this issue. This all makes very clear sense to me as another feature of fake News which are happening in a scenario of populist governing authorities.

Thirdly, the outcomes that derive from the excessive use of social medias (teenager suicide, depression, different types of disorders) seem to me that are not correlated directly to social media as its source of the problem. It seems to me that the justification for every problem is the use of the cellphone/computer. For example when a student has a bad grade and the parent goes like “também só fica nesse celular” it is the beginning of the discussion, but it is far from being treated with the seriousness that the theme requires, and consequently to be something worth of finding a solution.

Finally, I could associate the hatred mentioned in the documentary with some of the current discourses which are gaining space online. There is a new culture of “cancelling people” (what is happening with BBB is one example) that causes me anxiety. Social medias created a kind of aproximation between the person on the screen and the strangers who follow them and this proximity allowed a new type of feeling: love, hate and many reflection on people’s practices outside the social media. I simply cannot bare or comprehend when this started.

Whether changing people’s habits towards the use of the cellphone and social medias was the actual purpose of the documentary or if it was just entering in a huge fight with multi billionary tech companies I don’t know, but at least it has motivated me to think critically about it. 

Picture of Celso Henrique Soufen Tumolo
by Celso Henrique Soufen Tumolo - Friday, 5 February 2021, 2:08 PM

Luana

Yes, "but at least it has motivated me to think critically about it."

Picture of Mauricio de Bortolli Lattmann (202004435)
by Mauricio de Bortolli Lattmann (202004435) - Thursday, 4 February 2021, 10:11 PM

Hello everyone,

Watching "The Social Dilemma" documentary on Netflix was indeed an eye-opening moment for me. Even though I was aware of how much the media manipulates us into thinking in a certain way, I was really shocked by the actual "truth", if I can say so, behind all of the social media world. 

One very interesting aspect of the documentary that really caught my attention was the fact that most people interviewed were actually former employees from big companies like Facebook and Instagram, for instance. The fact that they were really outspoken about all that goes on behind the curtain was at least surprising and shocking. At one specific point of the documentary where one of these famous employees, when talking about the "like" button on Instagram, trying to justify the high rates of teen suicide, depression or even body dysmorphia, said that their initial idea behind the "like" button was to bring people together and not what it ended up becoming really shows how technology, if not used correctly, might sometimes have harmful consequences. After watching it, I took some time to analyze how much social media sometimes affects me in a bad way, considering the fact that I am a grown up man. When we think about how much it can affect teenagers and younger people around the world is somewhat scary.

Another very interesting aspect of the documentary was when one of the interviewees states how social media was once a tools-based technology environment to then becoming an addiction-and-manipulation-based technology environment. Also indicating how technology can sometimes affect real-world emotions and behavior without even making the users aware of what is actually happening. The interviewee continues explaining a little bit better quoting how technology has the power of manipulating people into acting in a certain way, choosing political parties or even joining hate groups. However, not much was said or suggested about any tangible actions users could start taking to avoid all of this.

Both reviews on the documentary, "Review of The Social Dilemma" and "Netflix’s The Social Dilemma highlights the problem with social media, but what’s the solution?" agree that the documentary itself does not provide enough information and tips on how to actually escape and avoid being manipulated, having the latter review give many more tips than the former one. Nevertheless, I particularly think the documentary could be seen as some food for thought, making people become more engaged and aware of their social media experiences.

Picture of Celso Henrique Soufen Tumolo
by Celso Henrique Soufen Tumolo - Friday, 5 February 2021, 2:10 PM

Maurício

"However, not much was said or suggested about any tangible actions users could start taking to avoid all of this." Don´t you think that one simple hint was to turn off the notifications?

by Mauricio de Bortolli Lattmann (202004435) - Thursday, 11 February 2021, 9:26 PM

Hello Professor Celso,

Turning off the notifications was indeed a great suggestion for people to start following since our attention is easily drawn to our phones when any notification icon pops up, however, I could actually see the documentary as a "firestarter" for people to further look for other ways to regain control over their social medias and even over their possible cellphone addiction. The website you listed with the article called "Take Control" is a great example of that.  

Picture of Flávia Roberta Felippi Rucki (201905682)
by Flávia Roberta Felippi Rucki (201905682) - Saturday, 6 February 2021, 4:42 PM

The Social Dilemma

My first reaction to this documentary was to invite my teenager daughters to watch it with me. Not so surprisingly, they declined….  Anyway, I took some notes and once in a while I bring this issue into discussion at home.  I think it would be a good idea to use this documentary in schools to foster some discussions among teenagers as well.

This documentary deals with mental health and social media users. Tristan Harris, a former Google worker, rises up ethical questions about his and his co-workers actions and how they affect internet users. As I was watching the documentary, I could relate many aspects of social media control to Orwell’s book “1984” in which the big brother is always watching and controlling its members. In social media, the big brother is watching the pages we browse, our likes, dislikes, interests, and, all of a sudden, the net turns out to be our best friend that supplies all our needs. And we forget the surveillance…. As said in the documentary, as if we were lab rats.

Also, I could relate this documentary  to Foucaults’ ideas on power relations, dominance and resistance.  Technology and the interests behind this industry are causing us severe damage to the extend we allow them to control our lives. Society seems to be obliged to surrender to endless demands such as consumption, perfect bodies, perfect lives and happiness at all costs. A whole generation is been trained and conditioned by social media on how to behave, believe and think… At this point, being aware of the manipulation behind the screens is the most important step in order to unbalance the power  relations we have been subjected.     I believe that it may be easier for me, a digital immigrant, to be able to resist. I was born before the digital era, but how about my kids, my students? Do they know there is life outside the internet? For sure, parents and educators can help. They can play their roles showing their kids that communication and culture should not be a synonym of manipulation and persuasion. Carr suggests in his book “The Shallows” that it is possible to train our minds to go beyond the reality imposed by the net by exercising our deep thinking and our analytical skills to challenge and choose what we really want, not what we are told to. It’s important to remind our kids that real life relationships come first, people come first, and that we can always turn off the machines. We can take control. This is our resistance power. This is the way we can balance this power relation.

Not that simple, I’m aware…but, surely, this documentary proves to be a good tool for reflection.

by Mauricio de Bortolli Lattmann (202004435) - Thursday, 11 February 2021, 9:37 PM

Hello Flávia,

I really liked the example you gave about Orwell's book correlating the "big brother" example to the internet. And I also agree on the fact that schools, having the role as motivators, should use this documentary to raise discussions about the topic among pre-teens and teenagers. 

Picture of Tatiana Köerich Rondon (202000714)
by Tatiana Köerich Rondon (202000714) - Saturday, 6 February 2021, 8:53 PM

Good evening, everyone! wink

I finally took some time to watch “The Social Dilemma” (I wanted to do this over the weekend). My students had already recommended that I watched the documentary, saying that it was thought-provoking. Indeed, I could reflect on many aspects of my life and society. First, it got me thinking about how I use social media nowadays. I have an Instagram account, a Twitter account, and WhatsApp, which I enter on a daily basis. I do have a Facebook account, but I have not used it for a long time. I have always had the feeling of being manipulated there.

Concerning the amount of time I spend specifically on social media, at least on Instagram, it is an average of 38 minutes. I usually skip ads and suggestions of new connections. However, I can think of at least one purchase I did because I saw ‘the right ad at the right time’ (one of those ring lights, they are really useful!). One of the things that scare me the most is that these apps also collect data through the smartphone’s microphones. That is why I keep the number of apps I have installed to a minimum.

About society, I believe it is unlikely that governments establish regulations to limit the access technology companies have to big data. Unfortunately, our world is moved by the interests of a few billionaires in many industries, not only technology. While it remains in their interest to control people’s minds, it will be very hard for us to fight back (although not impossible). Regarding technology, what we can do from an educational perspective is to teach our students to see social media critically. As parents, we should limit the time our children can go online as well as control what they access (I am a mother; I worry about that all the time).

On a related note, I would like to recommend a website called ‘A Starting Point’, which is “a video-based civic engagement platform created by Chris Evans, Mark Kassen, and technology entrepreneur Joe Kiani. ASP’s mission is to create a bipartisan channel of communication and connectivity between Americans and their elected officials with the goal of creating a more informed electorate”. I have come to know about this site because I am a fan of the actor Chris Evans, and the reason I am calling your attention to it is that I think that we need to have people of influence to join the cause of creating a healthier environment on the internet.

Picture of Daniele Perezin Mizuta (202004424)
by Daniele Perezin Mizuta (202004424) - Sunday, 7 February 2021, 8:34 PM

“The Social Dilemma” is an intense, thought-provoking and awareness-raising documentary that became widely known due to its criticism on social media practices that are common nowadays. I first watched it when it was released on Netflix and decided to watch it now for a second time in order to better reflect on the topic for this course. I must say that both times caused a great impact on me, due to the unprecedented and intangible nature of the problem. Personally speaking, I felt manipulated, exposed and vulnerable.

As they mentioned: it is the gradual, slight changes in behavior that is the product. Although I do not spend countless hours checking social media feeds, I have surely made some decisions based on what was “recommended” to me, such as a purchasing something or watching was coming up next. These small, “inoffensive” attitudes may not represent much harm at first, but according to the experts in the documentary, they are all ways to “explore the vulnerability in human psychology” and guide us towards what they want us to see and do.

In this way, I admire Tristan Harris’s courage to face such billionaire enterprises and question the impact of their products. We need people with such expertise on the topic to point out harmful practices that the daily user cannot see and also to suggest possible improvements. One example is the like button. It was stated in the video that the like button was initially created to spread love and positivity, and not to cause anxiety and low self-esteem. When some social media platforms decided to hide the number of likes, it was a big change for users and had a huge impact on how they felt after making a post. Wouldn’t it be beneficial if social media platforms had to undergo continuous scientific research on the negative impacts of their products and make alterations whenever something meaningful came up?

As educators, I would also say that we must bring this topic up for discussion with our students. As the problem itself is new, there is no definite “right answer” or solution, but I believe the more we reflect on it, the more we will try to understand our own practices and change what we see as harmful in our lives, in order to avoid “bringing out the worst” of ourselves.

Picture of Janaina Fernanda de Almeida (202001525)
by Janaina Fernanda de Almeida (202001525) - Tuesday, 9 February 2021, 9:51 AM

I watched the documentary “Social Dilemma” for the second time, and it left me startled once again. I mean, social media is part of our everyday life and, although some of the negative effects of using them are widely known, at least in common sense, the film exposes some inconceivable facts. I have always thought I was a conscious internet user, but this feeling was flushed away right at the start of the documentary. Being more aware of the context, however, does not reveal to the real extent our daily choices are influenced by the internet. We are so used to this massive advertising setting, in which everything is perfect, that it is hard to distinguish what are real desires from the ones raised by influence.

Likewise, the culture of nourishing social media seems to be the standard, whereas the extraordinary are the ones who do not follow it. Therefore, I was left wondering about how social life is constantly affected by this context, as the normality is to post, to communicate through screens, and to only share the best personal image of oneself.  The use of the internet, in general, is a tool that helps one to be accepted and socially engaged in the current society. For example, let us think about a teenager who does not have internet access, don’t you think that he/she will be somehow excluded? 

In this context, there is in fact an urgency for people to be more aware of the unreliability of the internet. However, in my opinion, significant changes do not seem to be tangible at the time being. The film was very provocative indeed, but if taking all into account, the advantages provided by the internet seem to be still quite above its disruptive aspects.

Picture of Pierre Silva Machado (202004425)
by Pierre Silva Machado (202004425) - Tuesday, 9 February 2021, 2:17 PM

While watching "The Social Dilemma" (for the fourth time), I was provoked quite a lot to reflect about the issues the documentary points out. First of all, I would like to mention the following quotation by Sophocles: "Nothing vast enters the life of mortals without a curse". When I read/listened to it, I got to notice how we are so often forced to be optimistic as a way of not thniking critically about facts. For sure, technologies have their positive impacts on our society, but what about the other side of the coin? I guess we must analyze concrete reality other than just look at the immediate one in order to understand the effects of technology as a whole. 

Society has benefited from technology in severa levels, such as health, information access and human rights discussions, just to name a few. However, I have been wondering if the final outcome has not turned out to be more negative than positive so far. And I do so due to the fact that, as we watch the documentary, we are remembered about many problems related to the consequences of misusing technology: mental health implications (depression, self harm and suicide rates, f.i.), shift in social relationships, addiction to electronic devices and fostering of cosmetic procedures and plastic surgeries among teenagers. Indeed, I believe the dilemma has also to do with this: isn't it time to stop and redesign how technology has broadly spread its power over all the other fields of society? 

Beyond that, my concern is that capitalism has reached its peak in terms of negative impact activating its surveillance mode by shaping politics and culture at all. Through quick glimpse, we check our society has been negatively affected by technology when it comes to hate speech (being white supremacist groups the ones we should worry more), the assault of democracy (even though it has a bourgeois template) and fake news. For this reason, I agree with the documentary narrative when a new agenda is suggested.

Although I strongly support what I have tried to argue up to now, one thing has to be highlighted: Tristan saying everybody ought to be aware of how technology has been planned. To sum it up, beforehand, I was triggered by the further saying: "If you're not paying for the product, then you are the product". As a historical-dialectical materialist, I often infer how capitalism has fetishised us since it was implemented and it is well-approached throughout the documentary. While suggesting the social media services are free, the group formed by the pro-humane tech warn us that this is a lie: these services are paid by advertisers so that they change our behavior and perception towards reality. By the way, it happens because these advertisers have a lot of data and it is the central source of this harmful engine. All the time, data is being measured, used, tracked, monitored and recorded and, based on predictions, it has crreated successful models to achieve some goals powered by algorithm: engagement, growth and advertising. Thus, through positive intermittent reinforcement, we have been programmed at a deeper level to invest time on social media and, consequently, we have been exposed to more adds, reason why these huge technology companied have accumulated capital as history has never registered before. 

My final argument is this: how long will it take for us to realize we are being manipulated under the false impression of feeling part of something which has only  made us seek for social approval through likes, hearts and comments? If we do not do anything, they will be able to psychologically influence us up to the point we are not human beings, but, as the documentary mentions, zombies. 

Picture of Fernanda da Costa Alves (202001313)
by Fernanda da Costa Alves (202001313) - Monday, 15 February 2021, 7:25 PM

I had already watched this documentary before and I was shocked once I finished. However, I still use social media everyday. As my colleagues have mentioned, I already knew that big companies such as Facebook manipulates us all the time through our social medias but it was still very scary to see (in a very exaggerated way) how this really impacts our lives outside the internet. 
One of the things that caught my attention was how they started to change some features in the platforms to make us open the app instead of only seeing the notification. One example is taking of the picture you were tagged in when showing us the notification and only leaving the message "you were tagged in a picture" to make you actually open the app. Or even the way they changed Instagram's feed to make you go through it forever (now you can even see the posts of people you do not follow).
Even though I am aware of the influence of ads and how social media is designed to make you stay there as long as possible, it still affects my life (I use it much more than I probably should). And as Maurício mentioned: I am an adult, imagine how this can impact teenagers and children. Some days ago I was even discussing with João about how we tend to consume much more when we are using Instagram because it tends to show us everything we want or could want since the algorithm knows us better than ourselves. Nowadays, more and more children and teenagers have smartphones, iPads and social media. If issues such as self-image and consumerism impact adults, it is probably much worse for people who are still developing to become adults. 
Overall, the documentary had a huge impact on me when I watched and I even turned off my notifications (it helped a lot in the anxiety to see everything right away). However, just as Tristan's colleagues when he wrote the text about the issues about the impact of social media: it shocked and I strongly agreed.. but some time passed and I was not that shocked anymore and here I am, still using and probably still being influenced by it. It is extremely hard to disconnect when nowadays we mostly interact with people through our social medias. Nevertheless, it is certainly something we need to reflect a lot about.

Picture of William Gottardi (202003499)
by William Gottardi (202003499) - Tuesday, 16 February 2021, 10:27 AM

Hey everyone!

The documentary was very interesting, and I needed some time to digest all of its content. As mentioned by some colleagues before, I've already known many of the arguments exposed. However, putting them together really shocked me. It was not new to me that the mass media is manipulative, as Chomsky would advocate, but the amount of information these gigantic tech companies have on us is frightening.

I particularly liked the hints at the end of the documentary. After watching it, I turned off most of the notifications and uninstalled some apps. Nonetheless, I understand social media is a tool and there are great things over there. I guess it is a matter of critical thinking. What kind of content are we being exposed to? Do I have control of it? How can I have control of it?

For sure, we can follow and unfollow pages and people. We can also uninstall harmful apps and install great tools instead (as the link "Take Control" shows us). Notwithstanding, we need to know this so we can make smart decisions. What gets me really worried is the fact that schools are not following these changes. They all happen too fast, and the school curriculum might be years behind those changes. The point is, we should know how to get the best out of social media, share relevant content, be part of well-intentioned groups, be able to think critically. In short, social media is going to stay... for long. We should discuss ways we can benefit from it and make it less harmful, mainly in our classrooms.

Picture of João Luiz Coelho (202002413)
by João Luiz Coelho (202002413) - Thursday, 18 February 2021, 5:11 PM

Hi everyone! 

I must admit that I was a little hesitant to watch this documentary because I considered to already know how tech companies are profit-driven and how their business model works. My hesitancy came from not wanting to face the reality and see its consequences in “real life”. When I finished watching the film, as expected, I felt like I was given a punch in the face.

The documentary mentioned a fact in which I fit precisely: that people born after 1996, called Gen Z, started using social media in their phones around high school. I did already use Orkut and MSN at the time (sweet nostalgia), but it was only in my computer for a limited amount of time. It was during my high school years that my parents gave me a phone and it revolutionized the way that I interacted with social media. To be completely honest, my relationship with social media slowly evolved and became toxic over the years to a point where I was anxious about notifications that I received and even the notifications that I *didn’t* receive. By being extremely naive about it, instead of backing away from my phone, I indulged in more scrolling, clicking, liking, and watching.

Thankfully, I remember having a conversation about addiction to social media with the people that were living with me at the time after watching the first season of Black Mirror. They expressed how anxious they felt about the amount of notifications they received, and how they felt bad that they had to check their phone every time it rang. This was sort of a wake up call to me. It was the first time that I connected the dots about how social media affected my anxiety. That led me to pay more attention on my surroundings and resist the urge to check notifications. I started to leave the phone away from my bed. And that is a habit I try to keep until this day (even though I succumb sometimes). What helps me the most, though, is the ability to filter notifications on my phone. To specifically choose which apps I would like to be notified about. I also removed the most addictive social medias (Instagram, especially) away from my home screen, so I have to think twice and go look for it before opening the app.

This documentary was an emotional ride, but a necessary one. I believe that it is very important that everyone sees it to have a better understanding of how our reality is working right now.

Picture of Endi Barbosa dos Santos (202004490)
by Endi Barbosa dos Santos (202004490) - Friday, 19 February 2021, 9:30 PM

I had already turned my notifications off on Instagram, Facebook, and WhatsApp before watching the documentary. I had also canceled my subscription on lots of youtube channels and not essential websites because I had already realized how much the Internet was changing who I was.
I didn't understand how The Internet people did this exactly, though, and I believe the documentary didn't make it clear for me. I know it wasn't its intention anyway.
Before watching it, I had already felt the power capitalism had on me through the Internet ads. I had also felt anxious due to its usage. Besides, my brain was tired with a lot of information I used to get simultaneously.
The documentary is shocking but not as much as the moment we notice we are those characters in real life. Now, ironically, I have been enjoying working online and feeling excited about using technology, maybe because I'm changing my attitude on how to use it, as Prensky says.

Picture of Celso José de Lima Junior (202001592)
by Celso José de Lima Junior (202001592) - Thursday, 25 February 2021, 6:01 PM

Hi, everyone

I have to admit that I really find the documentary amazing. Two parts in special got my attention: the triplet algorithms and Engagement. Automatically, they remind me of the movie Inside Out, where some emotions work in a control room inside our brain.

To be true, the documentary made me think about my behavior and how much time I spend using my phone or how much of my data is given up on a daily basis. Unfortunately, the documentary doesn’t really tell us what we can do. big grin

As a user, I try to limit the time that I spend on Facebook, Instagram, Gmail, and Whatsapp. Another thing that I do is restrict the privacy settings on those platforms.cool

Picture of Rayla Rocha dos Santos (202001012)
by Rayla Rocha dos Santos (202001012) - Thursday, 1 April 2021, 8:58 AM

At first, like some of my colleagues, I got hesitant, I felt like a “product” due to the company's effort to manipulate us. I did not have a big notion of how they tried to get us addicted to the internet and social media.

I think this documentary is very informative and makes me think about the way I interact with the internet/social media. I think I was too naive to see social media as only a way to interact, search, etc. in which the focus is always to turn us into products.

It is insane how fake news can achieve more people than true news. In relation to that, here in Brazil it exactly reminded me the last elections, in which WhatsApp groups, Facebook, Twitter accounts, and many youtube channels spread fake news about the parties that were running. Bolsonaro’s winning was entirely supported by fake news. It is insane how the internet/social media can divide a country, and how people can easily believe in something so questionable. 

As they propose in the documentary, there must be laws and regulations for these companies to work with more human data. People are getting anxious, depressed, sedentary, and naive regarding what they see on the internet due to internet algorithms. 

I did not know this documentary before our course, but I think it should be watched by everyone. It is not that the internet does not bring positive changes for us, but we must be conscious and aware of how we can get manipulated regarding what we consume on the internet.