Grammar Activity Forum

Grammar Activity Forum
Wednesday, 13 January 2021, 6:40 PM

Hello

This forum is to discuss the activities provided in the chapter on Grammar by Stanley. Take a look at all the activities proposed. 

1) what do you think of them?

2) which one would you use in your classes? why?

3) how would you improve it for better results?

Picture of Tatiana Köerich Rondon (202000714)
Re: Grammar Activity Forum
by Tatiana Köerich Rondon (202000714) - Sunday, 7 March 2021, 11:05 PM

Hello, again! wink

I liked the activities very much because most of them foster learners’ autonomy. That said, the activity that caught my attention the most was Grammar Check. I believe learners can improve their grammar through writing when they use tools such as Grammarly. To improve this activity, I think teachers could show students the differences between the types of feedback Grammarly offers. Then, they could ask students to focus on correctness by finding the problems with the words underlined in red before clicking on each one to see a suggestion for modification. After correcting the text, I would call students’ attention to the parts highlighted in yellow and go over the list of premium suggestions to discover how they can improve their writing.

Picture of Thaisy da Silva Martins (202001387)
by Thaisy da Silva Martins (202001387) - Monday, 8 March 2021, 1:40 PM

I really liked the activities and suggestions, I think they can be very helpful to reflect about the choices when teaching grammar. I especially liked the activity Authentic Word Clouds, in which the teacher brings a word cloud generated from a text that the students are working with. The word cloud activity provides a time for reflection and discussion about the topic, and a time for the students to create sentences from the words and practice a grammar structure (such as relative clauses). I think this activity could be improved by letting the students choose their own texts and generate their own clouds, creating a more "hands-on" environment and giving them space to create autonomy. smile 

Picture of Pierre Silva Machado (202004425)
by Pierre Silva Machado (202004425) - Monday, 8 March 2021, 5:00 PM

In general, Stanley's activities were great for me to take a look and I found several of them interesting for me to use in my teaching practice. From all of those, I think Real-Grammar World and Authentic Word Clouds are perfect examples of grammar awareness possibilities.

Real-Grammar World has already been used by me in two different situations and the outcome was good as students had to work and had fun doing so. I only adapted the point in which the author suggests us to use a digital resource to create the posters. Instead, I used paper, magazines and glue as I was worried about time management. 

Picture of Fernanda da Costa Alves (202001313)
by Fernanda da Costa Alves (202001313) - Tuesday, 9 March 2021, 5:26 PM

Hello! smile

As my colleagues have mentioned, the activities proposed are all very interesting and useful for teachers. They instigate learners' autonomy and also provide very different ways and resources to learn grammar in comparison to the traditional activities we are used to. One of the activities that called my attention was the "audio gap-fills". I saw in the examples of the previous forum that one student did not like this activity because it could be hard for the students to understand their colleagues and write the sentences just by listening. In my opinion, this is a wonderful way to work with grammar, intelligibility, and listening at the same time. I would improve this activity by making students write the whole sentence (as in variation 1) but I would choose texts that complement each other, and in the end, their objective would be to have a whole story to complete among the groups.

Picture of William Gottardi (202003499)
by William Gottardi (202003499) - Thursday, 11 March 2021, 11:26 AM

Hey!!

As previously mentioned by Tatiana, the Grammar check activity is a great opportunity to develop students' autonomy. If we combine automated writing evaluation (AWE) tools with activity 4.4 (Questioning Infographics), you can profit from both oral and written production. Besides, infographics are great multimedia resources. By using them during a discussion, you can provide students with some meaningful learning experience, offering both visual and auditory stimuli. Moreover, it is really easy to find well-designed infographics on the web. Therefore, teachers can easily use this resource, alleviating their workload on preparation (finding suitable authentic material).

Picture of Janaina Fernanda de Almeida (202001525)
by Janaina Fernanda de Almeida (202001525) - Monday, 15 March 2021, 10:14 AM

Hello!

As seen in the previous forum, teaching grammar can be difficult, and students are generally not keen to have classes focusing on grammatical aspects, especially children and teenagers. Indeed, if a teacher only follows the traditional ways of practicing structures in written exercises, it can be tedious and discouraging. Therefore, the ideas suggested by the author are very useful to make these classes more interactive and fun. An activity that caught my attention was the “authentic word clouds”. I did not know that word clouds could be created from an entire text and in such a practical way. Besides, this type of material can be convenient for teaching other domains, such as vocabulary, reading, or writing.

Picture of Mauricio de Bortolli Lattmann (202004435)
by Mauricio de Bortolli Lattmann (202004435) - Saturday, 20 March 2021, 4:12 PM

The activities proposed by Stanley in his book "Language Learning with Technology" were quite informative and engaging. Most of them encourage students to perform them autonomously, eventually asking the teacher for help. They could be done either as warm-up activities or as wrap-up activities, depending on the focus the teacher wants to have. In my opinion, teachers should try to look for alternative ways to teach a specific skill, departing themselves from the usual and sometimes dull way skills are usually taught. When it comes to grammar teaching, Stanley provides an example stating that "teachers often follow the same format when presenting grammar, writing structures on the board and then asking learners to look at examples..." (p. 62). That is why, teachers should try to innovate and develop fun but still meaningful activities for their students to better retain a specif topic.

From the activities proposed by the author, the ones I liked the most were: 4.2 Grammar check; 4.7 Common grammatical errors; 4.9 Grammar safari and 4.10 Authentic word clouds. Even though activities 4.2 and 4.7 might seem a bit common or not that innovative nowadays, they are still very efficient for learners to check their grammar mistakes and learn from them. Activity 4.9 is also great for students to see grammar in different contexts of use, providing them not only a variety of different examples but also learning it from topics they are interested in. Activity 4.10 is the one I found to be the most fun, engaging and also meaningful for student to learn from. It involves students guessing from words in a word-cloud text making many associations from it. First, I would like to apply some of these activities to later see what could be improved in them. 

Picture of Celso José de Lima Junior (202001592)
by Celso José de Lima Junior (202001592) - Monday, 22 March 2021, 10:28 AM

Hi, everyone

I liked all the suggested activities by Stanley because they do not emphasize that grammar is a rigid set of forms to be taught solely for accuracy, but rather is a way for learners to express themselves in a situated context. 

Picture of Marcella Lorenzato Barontini (202004434)
by Marcella Lorenzato Barontini (202004434) - Saturday, 27 March 2021, 2:06 PM

Hi!!!

Teaching grammar is indeed a challenging task, as our goal is that students have the autonomy and knowledge to be able to use grammar rules in many different contexts in a natural way. Studying Stanley’s suggestions, I was more interested and eager to incorporate in my classes the activities that are more dynamic, such as Questioning info graphs (4.4 p.66); Real world grammar (4.8 p. 72) and If only (4.11 p.77).

When I presented my suggestion on grammar activity, I selected the Info graphics one, in which students would ask Wh-questions about the information in the graphic. As a variation I would suggest using pictures instead of graphics, for lower level students. Using images generator websites could be a great idea! Here is one example: https://writingexercises.co.uk/random-images.php

In addition, inspired by the game activities suggested in many chapters of Stanley’s book, here’s one really nice tool for practicing asking questions using past tenses: https://detective-stories.com

In this activity, students become detectives trying to solve some dark mysteries! I have used this resource with many students and all of them appreciated the lesson!

Picture of Daniele Perezin Mizuta (202004424)
by Daniele Perezin Mizuta (202004424) - Sunday, 28 March 2021, 8:23 AM

From the options of grammar activities presented by Stanley, I would say that my top 3 are: 4.4 Questioning Infographics; 4.5 Grammar fight; 4.11 If only.

4.4 Questioning Infographics – this activity can be easily adapted to different levels and the selection of topics is broad. In addition, teachers can select infographics that discuss topics that are linked to students’ realities and up-to-date world issues to be discussed while practicing the desired language focus.

4.5 Grammar fight – This activity will encourage students to take a more active role while checking the veracity of the statements as well as they check sentence formation. It allows them to work collaboratively and discuss their reasons to consider the sentences true or false. One possible variation would be for them to create their own T/F statements about another topic or about themselves, in order to exchange with other groups or use a polling app/website to see who can guess the most T/F statements.

4.11 If only – Interesting and dynamic activity for them to engage with conditionals in context. Popplet seems easy and intuitive for classroom use. As a follow up activity, the teacher could present world event topics, such as: Brazil’s discovery, famous wars, the pandemic, etc., and ask students to choose one, search online for main facts and create another map with how things could have been different. They will incorporate reading and writing skills as they prepare their own short stories and practice the desired conditional while they make their second map independently.

Picture of João Luiz Coelho (202002413)
by João Luiz Coelho (202002413) - Wednesday, 31 March 2021, 2:43 PM

Hello, everyone!

I find it important that the author discussed descriptive and prescriptive grammar in the beginning, as it is an important discussion that I think that all teachers should have with students. I do that with my students as well, and I tend to use the example that according to prescriptive grammar, you must always say “If I were you”. But that it is very common nowadays in informal contexts to find people saying “If I was you”. I tell them that it is also important to have in mind the context and genre in which they will use each form. In a formal context, like a letter, it is more appropriate to use  “If I were you”, but in informal and usually spoken contexts, the other form can also be accepted. smile

I find the activities on grammar proposed by Stanley really fitting, as it tends to be open to any grammar topic, which is great! I find myself using the activity 4.2, grammar check, but using Grammarly, which is one of my favorite grammar-checking software to date. Also, 4.5 grammar fight as well, but I would use Google Trends, which has a modern interface and many new resources to compare results on Google.

Picture of Rayla Rocha dos Santos (202001012)
by Rayla Rocha dos Santos (202001012) - Thursday, 1 April 2021, 5:12 AM

As some of my colleagues pointed out, most of the activities learners are active. Regarding the one that I would use is “The real-world grammar” because students would perceive how grammar is used through things that they may enjoy as movies and books. Moreover, this activity allows learners to be creative because they have to create a poster. In relation to improving this activity, the teacher could ask students to watch the same movie, and with the word-grammar, the students would create a “meme”. Or the choice of the movie, or song, a book could be maintained by students choice, and they would still create a meme with word-grammar used in some of these options. 

Picture of Flávia Roberta Felippi Rucki (201905682)
by Flávia Roberta Felippi Rucki (201905682) - Tuesday, 6 April 2021, 8:47 PM

Stanley suggests lots of activities to deal with Grammar in language classes. I've been using websites and apps to teach grammar for a long time, and one activity that I use a lot  is (4.7) " Common Grammatical errors". It is really simple and effective. There are lots of sites in which learners can practice grammar through puzzles and games, so grammar practice can be lighter and fun.smile   

Picture of Andreia Dalla Costa (201901088)
by Andreia Dalla Costa (201901088) - Wednesday, 7 April 2021, 5:58 AM

From all the activities proposed by Stanley (2013) in relation to teaching grammar, the one that caught my attention was 4.12 Grammar in context. I found this one particularly interesting as it is aimed at B1 to C1 students. Usually, when students get to this level of English, they sometimes believe that there is not much to be learned in relation to grammar since they already know how to use all the basic forms and might communicate well enough for their purposes. 

One thing I would do differently in this activity is the source of information students would access, changing microblogs for news or some other genre students are used to reading online.