Instructions and Step for the Unit - click here
Comparison-Contrast analysis is always present in our everyday life. All the time we talk about the similarities (comparison) and/or differences (contrast) of, for example, products we want or need to buy.
In academic reflection, Comparison-Contrast analysis is done in considering, for example, similarities and differences of teaching methods, so that we can make our informed decisions.
You will be writing a comparison-contrast essay in this Unit. A comparison-contrast essay encourages the development of critical thinking by examining similarities and differences of theories, models, methods, etc, proposed to account for a phenomenon. This examination should be careful causing naive thinking to be replaced by reflected thinking.
Comparison-contrast essays can be 1) on comparison only (not interesting); 2) on contrast only; or 3) on comparison and contrast.
For the assignment, you must choose one among the three possibilities and make that clear for the teacher. Further instructions for that can be found within assignment#4.
To complete the unit, you must:
- watch the videos on comparison contrast (recommended)
- do the activity 'reflecting on books and movies' (mandatory, read by Celso and Luiza)
- do the activity 'reflecting on language acquisition' (mandatory, read by Celso and Luiza)
- do the activity 'analizing comparison contrast essay' (mandatory, feedback by Luiza)
- do the activity 'contribute with you choice' (suggested)
- read the guidelines for assignment#4
- do assignment #4 - first steps - (mandatory, feedback by Celso e Luiza)
- do assignment #4 - first version - (mandatory, feedback by Celso)
- do assignment #4 - final version - (for grading 40%, feedback by Celso)
note: for this essay, you must use external sources and include as in-text citation and reference list.
* before you begin writing, you'll need to research your topic. Learn what other people say about the particular issue. You really need to consult expert opinions. Scholarly journals, credible professional websites and university websites can provide you with a good starting point.